Start a Team
Junior FIRST® LEGO® League captures the interest of the youngest learners at FIRST.
- Jr.FLL teams are comprised of 2-6 children, ages 6-9. Generally we consider the upper age limit of 9 to be "hard" and the lower limit of 6 to be "soft". If, after taking in the child’s developmental level, you feel they are capable of participating on a team, then by all means they’re allowed. We have found that kids younger than 6 can be very overwhelmed by the experience and those older than 9 may be bored or not wanting to "play with the little kids". Remember, for kids that are 9 to 14, FIRST offers the FIRST LEGO League (FLL) program.
- We highly recommend having at least two members on a team, so that children may truly benefit from the team experience.
- FIRST does not create the teams or match children to teams. Any adult can start a team at their local level. However, FIRST has a matching system for parents to connect with others to form teams. Try FIRST TeamUp!
- Anyone can start a Jr.FLL team. Frequently teams are made up of neighborhood groups, school groups, home school organizations, Girl Scouts or Boy Scouts, family members, and after school programs.
- Jr.FLL teams generally meet for 6-8 weeks. Each session should last for about one to two hours, once or twice a week. Many teams meet after school or during another group activity, such as during a Girl Scout or Boy Scout troop meeting.
- Season materials are available electronically once you register. Season materials include Challenge documents, coaches guide, access to private forums and acces to the Jr.FLL Online Showcase.