Email Blast- Second Regional Event Registration opens today at 12 noon ET~Engineering Our Future video contest~NASA Grant Application deadline tomorrow~Kit & Kickoff section in TIMS~FRC Rookie Grant Opportunity
Second Regional Event Registration opens today, 10/24/13 at 12 pm (noon) ET: Teams in the regional model may register for their second regional event beginning today at 12 pm (noon) ET in TIMS: https://my.usfirst.org/frc/tims/site.lasso.
Please note, district teams cannot register for a regional event until unrestricted event registration opens on Thursday, 11/7/13 at 12 pm (noon) ET.
Engineering Our Future video contest by Rockwell Automation: FIRST® teams participating in FIRST® LEGO® League (FLL), FIRST® Tech Challenge (FTC) and FIRST® Robotics Competition (FRC) are eligible to enter the Rockwell Automation “Engineering Our Future” video contest. Create and submit a 60 seconds or less video with the answer to the question: “What could your team engineer that would have a positive impact on your community and our world?” Rockwell Automation will award up to $10,000 in team grants. The deadline to submit a video for this contest is Thursday, 10/31/13. For more information, please go to http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellautomation/news/110-anniversary/engineering-our-future-faq.page.
NASA Grant Application Deadline: The NASA Grant application deadline is tomorrow, Friday, 10/25/13. For information on the grant, along with a link to the application website, please visit: http://www.usfirst.org/roboticsprograms/frc/available-frc-grants and click on the “NASA FIRST Robotics Competition grant application system” link at the top of the page.
Kit and Kickoff Section in TIMS: Teams may select their Kickoff preferences in TIMS: https://my.usfirst.org/frc/tims/site.lasso. *Please find additional information about choosing your Kit & Kickoff preferences at the bottom of this email.
FRC Rookie Grant Opportunity: FIRST is excited to announce a new funding opportunity exclusively available to Rookie teams participating in the 2014 FRC season! This funding has been provided by the Argosy Foundation along with other generous supporters of FIRST. For information on the grant, along with a link to the application website, please visit: http://usfirst.org/roboticsprograms/frc/available-frc-grants and click on the “2014 Rookie Grant Applications are now available” link at the top of the page.
- FRC’s ‘Ask An Expert’ calls have begun, led by Senior Mentors and various experts from the FIRST community. Join us for our next call on Wednesday, 11/6/13. Visit http://www.usfirst.org/community/volunteers/fsm_training_calls#FRC for more information.
- Autodesk offers a number of free resources and webinars for both Students & Mentors, all of which are recorded and stored on their website. Their next webinar, “Autodesk Inventor: Dynamic Simulation”, will take place on Wednesday, 11/20/13. To register for the webinar or access their resources, visit http://students.autodesk.com/?nd=first_home_landing.
- National Instruments (NI) offers training materials, grants and competitions for FRC & FTC teams. To learn more, visit https://decibel.ni.com/content/community/academic/student_competitions/frc.
- PTC offers a variety of free training opportunities, both in-person and on the web. To learn more about their Hands-on-Workshops, Online Training Opportunities and weekly webinars, visit http://www.ptc.com/company/community/first/teams.htm and click on Training and Resources.
*“Kit and Kickoff Preferences” (in TIMS) is where you indicate how your team wants to pickup/receive the Kit of Parts (KoP) and where/if your team plans to attend Kickoff. Please note the following before making your selections:
- Picking up your KoP at a Kickoff will save your team shipping costs;
- If your team chooses not to attend any Kickoff, the KoP will be shipped to your Shipping Contact and your team will be responsible for the shipping costs. Teams that choose to have their KoP shipped can expect to receive it sometime during the week after Kickoff. International teams should be aware that delivery date will depend on customs clearance;
- Your team may attend more than one Kickoff. For example, you can send members to the Kickoff in Manchester, NH, while others can attend a Local Kickoff in your area. However, you must indicate only one Kickoff for KoP pickup.
Surrogate Kit Pickup Option:
If your team is unable to pick up its KoP at a Kickoff, and you do not wish to incur shipping charges to have it mailed, an alternate team may pick up your KoP at a Kickoff. You must provide FIRST with an authorization letter, signed by the main contact, on school or sponsor letterhead in order for us to release the kit. You can find a template for this letter here: http://tinyurl.com/oohllb2.
Fax the letter to Team Support at 603-666-3907 no later than 5:00 pm ET on 12/30/13 or send a hard copy to FIRST, Attn: Team Support, 200 Bedford Street, Manchester, NH 03101. The letter must include the following:
1.) Your Team Number and the Kickoff pick-up location;
2.) The name and team number of the representative picking up the KoP;
3.) Provide a copy of the Surrogate Kit Pickup letter to the team representative picking up the KoP for your team. This representative must bring the letter to the appropriate Kickoff.
The FIRST® Robotics Competition (FRC®) is brought to you, in part, by our generous Sponsors and Suppliers. For a full list, please visit http://www.usfirst.org/sponsors/sponsor-listings.