Workshops and Conferences
2015 FIRST Championship Conferences
FIRST Championship, St. Louis, MO | April 22nd-24th
FIRST is excited to announce the twelfth annual FIRST Championship Conferences. We will provide a series of sessions on topics of interest to FIRST Robotics Competition, FIRST Tech Challenge and FIRST LEGO League Teams, Coaches, Mentors, Students, Volunteers, and prospective participants.
Educate: provide information tol help guide participants to success in FIRST and their future goals
Inspire: showcase community members who are making strides in the FIRST programs and STEM fields
Build Community: create a space for participants to share stories, experiences, and best practices
The 2015 FIRST Championship Conference will offer the following tracks- or a series of sessions based on a common theme:
- Alumni: preparing for college, scholarships, internships, staying involved with FIRST
- Technical Resources: programming, designing, and building robots
- Mentor/Coach Resources: recruiting mentors/coaches, fundraising, marketing, team management, developing student leadership
Conference Session Formats
The 2015 FIRST Championship Conference will offer the following formats:
- Conference Main Stage: a select number of sessions that will provide an opportunity for leaders in FIRST and STEM to present their experiences to a large audience
- Conference Sessions: smaller sessions designed to provide an interactive experience, such as hands-on demonstrations, round-table conversations, group activities, etc.
You may present individually or as part of a group. FIRST will provide a laptop and projector for each presentation. Any additional equipment will be the presenter’s responsibility to provide. Selected proposals will presented at the conference in St. Louis on April 22nd - 24th. Please note that travel and accommodations will not be provided by FIRST.
We encourage presentations in all technical and non-technical areas of FIRST programs. If you are interested in submitting a proposal for a presentation in St. Louis, please submit your idea in this online application by Monday, January 19, 2015. (Deadline has been extended from January 5th.)
This list shows some examples of topics that teams have found useful. Please don’t limit your proposal to the topics on this list. We welcome any innovative ideas that help to educate, inspire, or build community among FIRST participants.
- Robot design tools and strategies (design software, programming languages)
- How to lead a sustainable FIRST team
- Marketing tips and advice for teams (fundraising, budgeting, finding sponsors)
- Preparing for college (applications, essays, interviews, scholarships)
- Team organization
- Inspiring student leadership
- Progression within FIRST programs (example: transitioning from FLL to FTC)
- How to recruit and retain volunteers and mentors/coaches
2014 FIRST Championship Conferences Recordings
Thank you to the students and staff at Worcester Polytechnic Institution (WPI), who graciously donated their time and resources to record the conference sessions.
Videos can be found here: 2014 Championship Conference Recordings
Please note that not all presentations listed in the schedule are recorded. If you would like more information on a particular presentation, please contact Hannah Foust.
FIRST Women in Science and Technology Forum for High School Girls
Where: FIRST Place and UNH Manchester, NH
When: November 7, 2014. Read more about the 2014 FIRST Women in Science and Technology Forum (WIST).
Visit LinkedIn to join the discussion forum for attendees/speakers of the WIST forum. A place to Explore, Network, Learn, and Get Inspired with like-minded individuals.