Safety Advisors are involved in ongoing safety assessment during the entire event. The Safety program nurtures a positive reinforcement model using safety credits to emphasize safe behavior and coaching to correct unsafe behavior. The goal is to have a safe event and to promote safety as a holistic life skill. Safety Advisors will receive training from the Lead Safety Advisor at the event.
- Monitor overall event safety, observe unsafe actions and coach teams in appropriate safe behavior
- Perform ongoing assessment of team behavior towards safety and determine the winner of the Safety Award
- Manage the safety recognition awards aspect of the program.
- Assist with Awards ceremony
Experience And Skills Needed
- Ability to "take charge"; be assertive
- Ability to link FIRST principles to a safety approach and move teams to compliance
- Ability to move about the facility
- Ability to work and interact with volunteers, team members, contracted and FIRST staff
- FIRST experience not required; general knowledge of FIRST preferred
- High energy, outgoing personality
- Must be ethical and impartial
- Strong interpersonal/communication skills focused on a coaching approach
- Strong organizational skills
- Thorough knowledge of safety principles required, work related safety background preferred
- Work well as a member of a Safety team as well as with student team members
Commitment: Minimum Three days, this position is involved during all days the teams are on site + Training
Approximate times: Wednesday: 6:00 P.M.- 8 P.M. (dependent upon Regional*)
Thursday: 8:00 A.M.- 8 P.M.
Friday: 8:00 A.M.- 5 P.M.
Saturday: 8:00 A.M.- Completion
NOTE: Volunteers should arrive on site 15-20 minutes prior to start of every shift in order to allow time to check in at the Volunteer Registration desk.
Wednesday Volunteer Orientation Dinner and Training*
Reporting Relationships And Supervision
Direct supervision: Lead Safety Advisor
*Please Note: some events will not be conducting a Wednesday evening Volunteer Orientation and Training.