Position Summary - This is a certified position
Perform mandatory robot inspections and weigh-ins to ensure compliance with robot construction rules. Determine inspection outcome decisions (pass/fail). May perform random inspections. Work under the direction of the Lead Robot Inspector. Provide general technical support for teams by helping to resolve issues with their robots. This is a physically active role.
*Must sign a Conflict of Interest and Disclosure Form prior to start of service*
- Perform robot inspections and weigh-ins
- Complete inspection paperwork
- Participate in deliberations regarding inspection decision issues
- Assist with break down of robot inspection/weigh-in areas
Experience And Skills Needed
- FIRST experience not required; team experience preferred
- Mechanical aptitude required
- Ability to follow and enforce electrical wiring diagrams
- Ability to follow and enforce pneumatics diagrams
- Strong interpersonal/communication skills
- Ability to collaborate with others
- Ability to move about the facility
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Strong assessment skills
- Ability to work as a member of a team
- Pass background check and VIMS review
- Pass Robot Inspector test
Commitment: Minimum two days + Training
Approximate times: Wednesday: 6 P.M. - 8 P.M. (dependent upon Regional*)
Thursday: 8 A.M. - 8 P.M.
Friday: 8 A.M. - 5 P.M.
Saturday: 8 A.M. - Completion
NOTE: Volunteers should arrive on site 15-20 minutes prior to start of every shift in order to allow time to check in at the Volunteer Registration desk.
Lead Robot Inspector conducts training at the Wednesday Volunteer Orientation Dinner and Training and provides guidance during the competition.
Reporting Rellationships and Supervision
Direct supervision: Lead Robot Inspector
On-site guidance: Volunteer Coordinator
*Please Note: Some events will not be conducting a Wednesday evening Volunteer Orientation and Training.