Position Summary - This is a certified position
Referees observe team matches, identify rule violations, and "call" them. They calculate the official score of the matches and participate in deliberations regarding contested calls. Work under the direction of the Head Referee. Play a critical role in ensuring smooth flow of match play, and maintaining the pace of the event. This role is a physically active role positioned on the perimeter of the playing field.
*Must sign a Volunteer Conflict of Interest and Disclosure Form prior to start of service
- Observe matches, "call" rule infractions; determine penalties
- Participate in deliberations regarding contested calls
- Participate in discussions with Head Referee and other referees to determine official match scores
- Participate in deliberations with the Head Referee regarding robot-related issues raised by opposing team
- Monitor/promote safe practices on and around the playing field; wear safety glasses during the matches
Experience And Skills Needed
- Ability to "take charge"; be assertive, but tactful
- Thorough knowledge of the competition game and rules of play (must pass certification test)
- Work and interact with volunteers, team members and students, contracted and FIRST staff
- Outgoing personality; high energy
- Strong communication, diplomacy skills
- Ability to collaborate with others, work as a member of a team
- Attention to detail
- Ability to move about the field
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Strong assessment skills
Commitment: Pre-event training and certification, Thursday -Attend Referee training (REQUIRED),
Friday, and Saturday
Approximate times: Wednesday: 6:00 P.M.- 8 P.M. (dependent upon Regional*)
Thursday: 8:00 A.M.- 6 P.M.
Friday: 8:00 A.M.- 5 P.M.
Saturday: 8:00 A.M.- Completion
NOTE: Volunteers should arrive on site 15-20 minutes prior to start of every shift in order to allow time to check in at the Volunteer Registration desk.
Pre-event training provided by FIRST Head Quarters prior to start of competition season. Head Referee conducts training during a teleconference approximately one week in advance of the event and at the Volunteer Orientation and Training on Wednesday* or Thursday evening and provides guidance during the competition.
Reporting Relationships And Supervision
Direct supervision: Head Referee On-site guidance: Volunteer Coordinator
*Please Note: some events will not be conducting a Wednesday evening Volunteer Orientation and Training.