Official Scorers observe team matches, tally the official score of the matches using electronic input devices, validate final scores and participate in ensuring correct field setup between matches. Official Scorers will play a critical role in ensuring smooth flow of match play and maintaining the pace of the event. This role is a physically active role positioned on the perimeter of the playing field. Works under the direction of the Head Referee.
*Must sign a Volunteer Conflict of Interest and Disclosure Form prior to start of service
- Observe matches, tally scores in real time using electronic input devices
- Validate final tallies
- Participate in discussions with Head Referee to determine official match scores
- Validate field setup between matches, including assisting with movement of game equipment
- Monitor/promote safe practices on and around the playing field; wear safety glasses during the matches
Experience And Skills Needed
- Outgoing personality; high energy
- Ability to collaborate with others, work as a member of a team
- Attention to detail; good vision
- Ability to move about the field
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Strong assessment skills
Commitment: Pre-event training, Thursday -Attend training (Required),
Friday, and Saturday
Approximate times: Wednesday: 6:00 P.M.- 8 P.M. (dependent upon Regional*)
Thursday: 8:00 A.M.- 6 P.M.
Friday: 8:00 A.M.- 5 P.M.
Saturday: 8:00 A.M.- Completion
NOTE: Volunteers should arrive on site 15-20 minutes prior to start of every shift in order to allow time to check in at the Volunteer Registration desk.
Head Referee conducts training during a teleconference approximately one week in advance of the event and at the Volunteer Orientation and Training on Wednesday* or Thursday evening and provides guidance during the competition.
Reporting Relationships And Supervision
Direct supervision: Head Referee On-site guidance: Volunteer Coordinator
*Please Note: some events will not be conducting a Wednesday evening Volunteer Orientation and Training.