Lead Safety Advisor
Lead Safety Advisor
Position Summary - Key Volunteer Position
Underwriter Laboratories (UL) assigns this position for FRC Regionals.
This individual will work with a team of Safety Advisors to increase the awareness of safety among all FIRST participants. This individual will work with teams to ensure they understand, comply with, and practice the fundamentals of safety to ensure the safety of all event participants. The Lead Safety Advisor will be responsible to provide training of the Safety Advisors in team coaching, mentoring and evaluation during the competition from Thursday to Saturday. The Safety Advisors will also select one team to win the Industrial Safety Award at the conclusion of the event.
- Significant level of responsibility
- Impact the safety and quality of the event; knowledge of safety issues
- High profile position, visible presence at competition
- Physically active role, not sedentary, requires the ability to stand, walk the length of the facility
- Pre-Event Training and Time Commitment
- Safety Advisor shirt provided
- Train Safety Advisors
- Monitor overall event safety, observe unsafe actions and coach teams in appropriate safe behavior
- Perform ongoing assessment of team behavior towards safety and determine the winner of the Safety Award
- Manage the safety recognition awards aspect of the program.
Experience And Skills Needed
- Thorough knowledge of safety principles required, work related safety background preferred
- Ability to link FIRST principles to a safety approach, and move teams to compliance
- Must be ethical and impartial
- Strong interpersonal/communication skills focused on a coaching approach
- Work well with student team members
- FIRST experience not required; general knowledge of FIRST preferred
- Ability to "take charge"; be assertive
- Ability to collaborate with others, work as a member of a Safety team
- Ability to move about the facility and stand for long periods
- Detail oriented
- High energy, outgoing personality
- Strong organizational skills
- Work well in a fast-paced environment
Commitment: Minimum three days + Pre-Event Training provided UL
Approximate times: Wednesday: 6:00 P.M.- 8 P.M. (dependent upon Regional*)
Thursday: 8:00 A.M.- 8 P.M.
Friday: 8:00 A.M.- 5 P.M.
Saturday: 8:00 A.M.- Completion
NOTE: Volunteers should arrive on site 15-20 minutes prior to start of every shift in order to allow time to check in at the Volunteer Registration desk.
Underwriters Laboratories provides training
*Please Note: some events will not be conducting a Wednesday evening Volunteer Orientation and Training.