Manages the paperwork and details associated with the inspection process, and tracks the progress of all teams at the event through inspection. Performs robot weight and size checks as necessary, and helps sequence teams through the process. Ensures team inspection status is current and prominently displayed. Provides support to the Lead Robot Inspector in prioritizing team inspections based on match schedule. Identifies issues and potential bottlenecks. Provides estimates for inspection completion to Lead Robot Inspector and other key personnel at the event. Provides recommendations on physical flow of teams through the inspection station. Works under the direction of the Lead Robot Inspector.
*Must sign a Conflict of Interest and Disclosure Form prior to start of service
- Assist with set-up of inspection station
- Track progress of all teams through the inspection process, and ensures the information is accurately displayed
- Performs robot weight and size checks as necessary, and helps sequence teams
- Provides information to Lead Robot Inspector and others on inspection progress and issues
- Assist with breakdown of inspection station
Experience and Skills Needed
- FIRST experience not required; team experience preferred
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong process orientation
- Strong interpersonal/communication skills
- Ability to collaborate with others
- Ability to move about the facility
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Ability to work as a member of a team
- Commitment: Minimum three days + Training
- Approximate times:
Practice Day (the day before the competition) 8am – End of Day
Day One of the Competition 8am – End of Day
Day Two of the Competition 8am – End of Day
Note 1: Event schedules vary. Please check the event schedule and talk to your Volunteer Coordinator, for detailed information on when you are expected to arrive.
NOTE: Volunteers should arrive on site 15-20 minutes prior to start of every shift in order to allow time to check in at the Volunteer Registration desk.
Lead Robot Inspector conducts training at the Wednesday Volunteer Orientation Dinner and Training and provides guidance during the competition. Inspection managers may be asked to shadow experienced managers at an event prior to taking on the role themselves
Reporting Relationships and Supervision
Direct supervision: Lead Robot Inspector
On-site guidance: Volunteer Coordinator
*Please Note: some events will conduct a pre-event evening Volunteer Orientation and Training.
*Please Note: Some events will not be conducting a Wednesday evening Volunteer Orientation and Training.