FIRST Technical Advisor Assistant (FTAA)
The FIRST Technical Advisor Assistant is a volunteer who helps keep the FRC field and event running smoothly. Works in collaboration with the FIRST Technical Advisor. It requires a high level of responsibility and has the ability to impact the quality of the event.
- Provide backup to the FIRST Technical Advisor (FTA)
- Work with volunteers to monitor wireless communications and other aspects of the event using available diagnostic tools
- Be aware of problems that arise and be ready to take steps to quickly diagnose and correct.
- Assist teams with technical issues on-field
- Review the Roles and Expectations document for the FTA
- Participate in training opportunities offered by FIRST
Experience and Skills Needed
- Familiarity or willingness to become familiar with the control system, diagnostic tools, wiring guidelines and software languages a plus
- Should be ready to step in should the FTA become unavailable
- FIRST experience strongly recommended
- Knowledge of the competition game and rules
- Strong interpersonal/communication skills
- Ability to stand for long periods of time and move about playing field
- Commitment: Minimum three days + Training
- Approximate times:
Set-up Day (two days before competition) 8am – End of Day
Practice Day (the day before the competition) 8am – End of Day
Day One of the Competition 8am – End of Day
Day Two of the Competition 8am – End of Day
Note 1: Event schedules vary. Please check the event schedule and talk to your Volunteer Coordinator, for detailed information on when you are expected to arrive.
NOTE: Volunteers should arrive on site 15-20 minutes prior to start of every shift in order to allow time to check in at the Volunteer Registration desk.
Training documents will be provided by FIRST online. Onsite training provided by FIRST Technical Advisor.
Reporting Relationships and Supervision
Direct supervision: FIRST Technical Advisor provides support and advice during the event
*Please Note: some events will conduct a pre-event evening Volunteer Orientation and Training.