The Crowd Control volunteer position is a physically active position that requires facilitating smooth pedestrian traffic flow throughout the facility, monitor audience, keep walkways and aisles clear. Effective crowd control is critical to a safe and well-run event.
- Restrict team access to Pit prior to morning opening of area; clear Pit of people after close of area
- Keep aisles, hallways and team traffic pathways clear in the Pit, near the playing field
- Limits team, volunteer, and public access to field
- Monitor access to designated Judge and Media/VIP areas
- Prohibit teams from "saving" blocks of seats
- Provide directions, i.e., to bathroom, concessions, Pit, Emergency Medical Technicians
Experience And Skills Needed
- FIRST experience not required
- Outgoing, friendly personality
- Strong interpersonal/communication skills
- Ability to take charge; be assertive, but tactful
- Ability to move about facility
- General knowledge of facility and event layout
- Adults preferred, older teens may be considered
Commitment: Minimum one day + Training
Approximate times: Wednesday: 6:00 P.M.- 8 P.M. (dependent upon Regional*)
Thursday: 7:30 A.M.- 8 P.M.
Friday: 7:30 A.M.- 5 P.M.
Saturday: 7:30 A.M.- Completion
NOTE: Volunteers should arrive on site 15-20 minutes prior to start of every shift in order to allow time to check in at the Volunteer Registration desk.
Event Assistant conducts training during the Wednesday Volunteer Orientation Dinner and Training*, and provides guidance during the competition.
Reporting Relationships And Supervision
Direct supervision: Event Manager
On-site guidance: Event Assistant and Volunteer Coordinator
*Please Note: some events will not be conducting a Wednesday evening Volunteer Orientation and Training.