Control System Advisor (CSA)
Position Summary - Key Volunteer Position
The FIRST Control System Advisor is a volunteer who assists teams with robot control system-related issues. Works in collaboration with the FIRST Technical Advisor and/or Robot Inspectors, who may direct teams experiencing issues on the field or in the pits to the CSA for assistance. This position requires a high level of technical knowledge and interpersonal skills, and has the ability to affect the quality of the event.
- Assist teams in correcting Robot Control System issues such as those related to the cRIO, support boards such as the Digital Sidecar, wiring, programming, sensors, driver station, and laptop-cRIO interface.
- Assist teams with obtaining additional support as required.
- Be aware of problems that arise and be ready to take steps to quickly diagnose and correct, with the goal of getting teams’ robots running and on the field.
- Participate in training opportunities offered by FIRST and other parties.
Experience and Skills Needed
- Recent hands-on experience with the FRC control system and diagnostic tools required
- Understanding of basic FRC Control System wiring guidelines and rules
- Proficiency in at least one of the FRC software languages (LabVIEW, C++, or Java)
- FRC Team mentoring experience desired, but individual must be available full time at event as a resource for all teams present
- Strong problem solving skills
- Strong time management and prioritization skills
- Strong interpersonal/communication skills in a high stress environment
- Ability to stand for long periods of time and move about the pit area
- Knowledge of the competition game and robot rules
Event Commitment: Minimum 3 days: Thursday through Saturday (dependent upon Regional schedule)
Wednesday: 6 P.M. - 8 P.M. (dependent upon Regional*)
Thursday: 8 A.M. - 8 P.M.
Friday: 8 A.M. - 8 P.M.
Saturday: 8 A.M. - end of last match
NOTE: Volunteers should arrive on site 15-20 minutes prior to start of every shift in order to allow time to check in at the Volunteer Registration desk.
Training provided by FIRST and other parties. Training will cover diagnostic techniques and common issues for the electrical system and each software language, but will not cover
system, wiring or programming basics.
Reporting Relationships And Supervision:
Supervision: FIRST Technical Advisor (FTA) provides support and advice during the event
*Please Note: Some events will not be conducting a Wednesday evening Volunteer Orientation and Training.