FIRST Newsletter - September, 2011 - 20 Years of FRC
Celebrating 20 Years of the FIRST Robotics Competition
Winners celebrate at the 2011 FIRST Robotics Competition Championship Closing Ceremonies in St. Louis
Join us as we commemorate two decades of innovation in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math with the FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) program in its 20th year. And hear what others have to say about the early years, as well as what’s in store for the future:
- Reminisce with veteran ABC news correspondent Lynn Sherr as she recalls her initial impressions of a modern day Thomas Edison and his big idea to create a Sport for the Mind™ for young people.
- Discover why long-time Mentors Carl Lewis and Dan Rooney are still committed today.
- Read about what differentiates FIRST from other organizations according to FRC Director Bill Miller.
- Learn how current team members Suki Berry and Alex Kern have been impacted by their FRC experience.
- Recognize the seven original teams that have been with FIRST since “day one.”
- Celebrate the Hall of Fame teams that have won the coveted Chairman’s Award through the years.
- Salute the Volunteers, Sponsors, and Suppliers whose efforts have been an inspiration since the beginning.
- Check out the FRC games that have been challenging high-school students and their Mentors for the past 20 years.
- View photo gallery of FRC games, from 1992 to 2011.
- View original video footage from 1992, courtesy of FRC Team 45.